Prep 20 min | Cook 2-3 hours | Serves 6-8 | Whole30 compliant
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted, chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup water
- Try a meat combo by mixing ground beef with ground turkey, pork, or bison.
- Make a double batch and freeze half so you have chili-on-demand.
- Top with sliced olives, diced onions, and/or avocado slices.
In a Slow Cooker
I haven’t made Chocolate Chili in a slow cooker myself because I don’t love stew-y things cooked in the slow cooker. But if the slow cooker is your thing, here’s the way one reader adapted this recipe for their crockpot. Proceed at your own risk; I haven’t tested this version myself.
Note: I also heard from another reader who said she just “plopped” everything into the slow cooker and let it do its thing. My recommendation is use the step-by-step method, but if you’re not fussy about texture or you’re in a hurry, I suppose you could try the “plop” technique.